Friday, October 06, 2006

Let Them Eat Pie

It has been discovered recently that there is a deficit of pie in Jersey City.

Grace Church Van Vorst, which is not too far from my home, is having a pie-baking contest on November 5.

I've never made a pie, and I wouldn't really know where to start. But Michael Kraiger can make a pie.

I cannot exactly issue a challenge to Michael Kraiger, because his pies would wipe the floor with my pies. But perhaps if they grade on a curve, my pies would make his pies look better. If someone out there can tell me how to make a not-too-embarrassing pie, I could enter this throwdown and at least help him look good. Or if I can't look good, at least I could look silly. Does a Ritz Cracker mock-apple pie count?

6 comments:

Steve Buccellato said...

Maybe you can CHEAT! Try entering a Sara Lee pie and see if anyone notices! Or be more obvious--maybe there is something available that can be easily recognized. Like a 'Cookie Puss" or whatever.

Marie Javins said...

Cheating might work--if your talented baker wife were to send me some pies that she'd baked!

Steve Buccellato said...

She's not that into pies, though I'm sure she'd do a great job. Just remember...Nobody doesn't like Sara Lee.

Ed Ward said...

The commercial crust always gives those Sara Lees away. The solution to winning by cheating is to go somewhere outside of town to an Actual Real Bakery and buy one. Pennsylvania Dutch country, frinstnace, although there's almost certainly something closer to hand.

Please note that I have never baked a pie in my life, unless pizza counts. I make great homemade pizza.

Marie Javins said...

Now, we've gotten off-track here. I don't need to win. I just need to show up and not look too bad, so that Michael Kraiger can win because his pie is better. My pies are usually baked by ShopRite, but today I received a link for a source for lots of great pie recipes. Course there's the remote possibility that I'll have sold my condo and split before the pie contest (Barcelona?), but I must not get ahead of myself.

Amanda said...

I have a recipe for a pear-cranberry pie that's tasty and sort of an unusual combination...I don't bake it often because homemade pie crusts are too much work! But it might be good for a contest, so let me know if you want the recipe.