Sunday, October 12, 2008

Starring Me



I'm listed on the BookCulture site now... yep, I'm the star of an in-store event in November. The topic? The newly published 3-D children's atlas that I wrote.

Gotta admit that I'm out of my depth on this one. I know how to talk about my travels and comic books and, uh, me. But I don't know how to deal with kids at all and I haven't done any atlas appearances yet. This will be my first.

I might be able to tell stories of interesting places. But how can I talk to kids? Maybe I better take some free comic books along.

3 comments:

Amanda Castleman said...

I panicked once, when asked to talk to a class of "differently abled" kids about world travel. But it was a blast. They loved examining my passport (maybe circulate old ones, just in case...). We played with the map a lot: finding their countries of ethnic origin, where they had been, that sort of thing.

Maybe get some craft on? Hand out line-drawings of the world, then have them color the country under discussion and draw something relevant on the side (pyramid, dik-dik, container ship pirate...)?

Can you do 3-D projections? That would be way cool...

You're gonna have a great time, I bet!

Sara Kocher said...

If you're in touch with him, talk to Jay Muth about it. We saw him do a great job at a bookstore appearance last spring.

I'd guess that the things way outside their own experience are the best, like being chased by a hippo, or having one in your yard. Maybe about the Isuzu truck accident and going up the dunes in Namibia at dawn. And anything you've seen about how kids their age live in other parts of the world. Those are the kinds of things that interest my kid, anyway.

Anonymous said...

You know how to talk to adult comic-book nerds? Then, you already know how to talk to kids...