Monday, January 29, 2007

Too Much Xocolata

Once, in 2004, my pal Lynne and I ducked into a cafe on Ramblas. We were tired and just looking to rest and have a hot drink. I got a coffee. She ordered a hot chocolate.

Uh... whoa. What the hell is that?

Turns out that xocolata is a specialty of Barcelona.

It's chilly here today in January of 2007, so I wanted a hot drink. I checked with Barcelona & xocolata aficionado Jeff for his favorite hot chocolate drinking place and headed over.

Here's what I got:



This stuff packs a wallop.In 2005, a UK newspaper writer described it as the "heart-attack inducing impact of the drinking chocolate."

The xocolata was delicious but I couldn't finish it. I couldn't even get halfway through it. Afterwards, I felt such a sugar-rush I had to make an emergency falafel stop to offset the sickening feeling of having consumed too much sugar on an empty stomach.

Here's one blogger's opinion on the best hot chocolate in Barcelona. Jeff agrees with most of these. I'm not sure I could work my way through the list to find out.

4 comments:

Marie Javins said...

Actually, it's not chilly here today, but I wrote that yesterday. Today it is beautiful in Spain and I bought new shoes and tomorrow I fly to Cairo for my latest incarnation as comic book editor. Well, boy howdy.

David Wohl said...

I'll take the rest.

Anonymous said...

I'll take the shoes!!

Steve Buccellato said...

Yum.