Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Band on the Run


I knew I had a good team here and in Kuwait.

I didn't know I had a GREAT team.

We were unexpectedly evicted from our office on Sunday morning. The guys have been out pounding the pavement since, looking for a new office—a department on the run, a production crew with their G4s stripped from their grasp (good luck with those password-protected Macs without power cords, dude, and isn't Firewire a marvelous fast tool in the way it can take away all someone's bargaining power in about 15 minutes.)—while I deal with executive matters in three time zones, hunched over my laptop in coffee shops. The Kuwait team, meanwhile, has picked up the slack without a hitch and without the merest grumble.

I should paste in something about not being killed, being stronger now. It's true. We're people without an office, a group without Macs except for personal laptops, but with these guys showing up for work after I gave them the week off, I think we're unstoppable. But all I can truly think about is iced coffee right now. And sleep. I'd love to sleep for a long time.

8 comments:

Matt Hollingsworth said...

Eventually, you'll have to clarify the story. As it's written, it makes very little sense that an employee who was fired can evict you from an office.

And, you should take more pics of Cairo's regular, everyday areas. I'm curious to see more of the neighborhoods look like and less interested in Pyramids or whatnot. I can see those pics anywhere.

But that's just me.

Good luck with the bullshit.

Marc Siry said...

Between this and the last post, I can't wait to hear the story behind the story!

Ed Ward said...

Ummm, you do know that iced coffee and sleep are somewhat incompatable, don't you?

Elayne said...

I've been holding my breath hoping y'all wouldn't wind up in jail, so I'm sighing with relief now. Please take care of yourself and lay as low as you need to!

Brett said...

I hope that's cold-brewed iced coffee

Marie Javins said...

Brett, it's from the Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf. That's not cold-brewed, is it?

Elayne, if the police show up, they can take the hard drives as "I" (for the official record, everything was me and the guys only sat there and watched) have duplicated all the work we'd done and shipped it to the home office in Kuwait. And if they take me to jail I am going to scare the hell out of them with my US passport (it worked once before, with police in Uzbekistan). If they throw me out of the country, I guess I'll come back in on my other passport. :)

Ed, in theory you're right but caffeine isn't really helping me now. I'm still fried.

Marc and Matt, it's about whose name is on the license. The bizarre thing is the guy IS fired and signed a termination agreement. I'm not sure who has the legal rights here but I sure as hell know who has the moral rights.

vagabondblogger said...

matt: I live in Cairo and unless you're here, or in any other country with strange laws (like Azerbaijan, or the U.A.E. or The U.S.A. now), you probably would not understand. To me, this sounds completely plausible, and, I hate to say, comical. You may call it "bullshit" but here it's not a word, it's something you have to live in (emphasis on in), day by day.

Unfortunately, the site for "The Way Things Work" does not include stuff like this.

Btw, I love Mac's - once with a Mac- never back!

Good luck Marie on your newest endeavor. As with anything here in Cairo, and granted I'm a newbie, you'll come right side up in no time.

Marie Javins said...

Too true, VB!

I cannot wait to tell the whole story, as it is LUDICROUS. I want to type it out for myself too but I'm so exhausted during most waking moments. And it seems impractical to explain the madness in public at the moment.

With Fired-Guy it was like watching a movie, where the guy with the gun doing the hold-up is asking for money, and THEN HE PULLS THE TRIGGER, and you're thinking YOU MORON, THAT'S THE POINT OF NO RETURN.

I'm lucky enough to be surrounded by some serious Mac enthusiasts. They even thought to hand me the disks which are needed to unlock the passwords. No admin privileges here! He'd need to hire a techie.