Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Bridging the Gulf


Have you ever tried to explain Mr. Hanky the Christmas Poo to a Gulf Muslim who has never seen South Park and whose first language is not English?

It was tricky. But I think I succeeded after first telling him the plot of the South Park movie, an academic film in which Canadians and Americans went to war over farting Canadian entertainers, and Saddam Hussein was the gay lover of Satan.

His response?

"So it is a realistic movie, not like this stuff," as he pointed to a comic book.

3 comments:

Linda said...

That's funny!

So was the movie. Ethnocentrism was well-mocked.

Anne-Marie Weeden said...

I love Mr Hanky.

But you could make life harder for yourself. You could move to Israel and explain the Lonely Jew song.

DeTamble said...

I love South Park, in fact I watched an episode today. Mmmm Foxtel! :D