Thursday, June 01, 2006

Brushes with Celebrity

Jimmy Carter. Brad Pitt. Bob Geldof. Marie Javins.

What's wrong with this picture?

This passage was originally in a London newspaper article last summer, but I just found it has been copied onto Wikipedia. It's part of a review of an Italian restaurant in Addis Ababa.

"Long considered the best restaurant in Addis Ababa," agrees the Lonely Planet guide. "Fantastic - some of the best food I had all the year I was travelling," says Marie Javins, editor of the alternative travel website gonomad.com. And our own Sir Bob can't speak highly enough about Ethiopia's top trattoria. "No question about it, you haven't tasted real pasta till you've been there," says Geldof, whose epic Live 8 rock extravaganza on July 2 telegraph.co.ukfollows close on the launch of his six-part TV series, Geldof in Africa, which is due to start on June 20 on BBC1. "Every time I'm in Ethiopia, I'm just aching to go to Castelli's."

I'm not editor of GoNOMAD.com, though I am a contributing editor (read: longtime freelance writer).

I wonder if they were desperate for quotes, googled, and used the next person they found after Sir Bob.

In other news, Angelina Jolie had her baby in the same hospital I was in last September in Namibia. Which would be kind of cool, except that being in the hospital was far from an enjoyable experience, since I wasn't there for fun.

6 comments:

Don Hudson said...

Does GoNomad do restaurant reviews?

Marie Javins said...

No. I assume they worked this out from a combination of http://www.gonomad.com/features/0211/ethiopiafood.html and http://www.mariesworldtour.com/entries/1102.html

Kind of a jump but I don't know where else I said it...

Pville Peg said...

You mean, every quote that we read in the paper or Wikipedia is NOT an actual accurate quote? Not only did they misidentify you, but they pretty much fabricated the whole quote? How utterly shocking!!
Come to think of it, knowing some of your food sensitivities, it's amazing if you find something to eat in an italian restaurant, isn't it?

Sara Kocher said...

I thought of you when I read that Angelina Jolie's baby was born in Swakopmund, since I'd never heard of it until you went to the hospital there.

I'd wondered whether it was the same one, but figured that would be too much of a coincidence. At least now you know you were probably in the best hospital there. Not that you wanted to be in hospital at all, of course.

Good thing you're not in Swakopmund now...the place must be crazy with frenzied paparazzi everywhere. Although it would be another chance to get misquoted.

Marie Javins said...

There are actually two hospitals in Swakopmund--one is the state (public) and the other is Cottage (private). I went to Cottage figuring that it must be better. Guess it is if Angelina was willing to go there.

I bet I couldn't even get a bed in Swakop right now, must less an apartment. Must be a zoo!

David Wohl said...

Does gonomad do hospital reviews?