Saturday, December 08, 2007

Negative Scanning

Back in the spring, I bought a new flatbed scanner. I wanted one that could scan my old negatives and slides as well as whatever scraps of paper I throw on it.

I did some research. Seems that flatbed scanners are terrible for negative scanning. But there was one, the Epson Perfection 4990 Photo, that was borderline-all-right. If I really want good-quality negative scans, I needed to buy a dedicated film scanner, like the Minolta Dimage. But a dedicated film scanner doesn't scan scraps of paper, and I could only buy one.

Today I used the negative holders and scanned some photos of Palmyra, Syria. Results were pretty "eh." I need to figure out how to get rid of dust and use the settings correctly. Maybe that will help.

Next time, I'll try the slide holder.




2 comments:

Marie Javins said...

I got the 4990 refurbished direct from Epson, so it was a good deal.

Anonymous said...

I think the shots look great.