Saturday, July 07, 2007

Moving In while Moving Out


I fly out later this week, for 2-3 months in extremely sunny Egypt.

I'm in a bit of a panic, as I have not even finished unpacking from my last tour-of-duty in the comic book wilds of Dokki, and I'm suddenly having to pack, find a ticket, get my New York office in order, and find a place to live in Zamalek again.

Strangely, it's high season in Cairo. That seems crazy to me as it as hot as hell there now, but apparently it's not as hot as the Gulf. So lots of people from the Gulf fly to Cairo for the summer. And perhaps the more permissive, cosmopolitan atmosphere has something to do with it for people from certain countries. But what do I know?

I'm scrambling, trying to figure out what I need while unpacking, doing my job, finishing up bits of freelance, and wishing I had a smoothie.

I bought a sun hat. I look stupid in hats. But I don't want any more sun damage. So now I have a hat. We'll see if I put it on every day before I leave my hotel room or apartment.

6 comments:

Steve Buccellato said...

The hat looks OK in your (very) cropped picture.

Maybe you ought to practice wearing it around JC until you get used to it. Just don't bring it into manhattan.

Anonymous said...

Where the hat everywhere!!!Hats are the coolest. Plus you don't have to worry about roots. I wear one. Then again I've always had a thing for hats. You should too!

Marie Javins said...

I need to cover up my roots. It costs me 2.5 times as much to get my hair done in Cairo as it does at home. (Not the only thing that costs more--I'm an expert in cheapo NY living. Necessity, y'know.) Can I wear the hat indoors?

Marie Javins said...

And Steve, I *bought* that hat in Manhattan!

Marie Javins said...

Oh and, um, The Other Marie bought me this hat. It was on sale so I also got a keychain garage door opener. Birthday gift card.

Anonymous said...

Great idea with the hat, and it's very cute.
... good that you got one with a rim too! But don't forget the spf 30 sunblock.

-monica