Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Unpacking, Nearing the End

A few more relics from the 90s. I've tossed things I liked back into a box and shoved them under my bed. The rest of it went up on the blog and then into the trash.

Tomorrow I fly to Cairo. We're nearing the end of the unpacking project. Maybe tomorrow's blog will be about "Packing."



In the early 90s, I got a Greyhound Ameripass and went cross-country. I stopped in Memphis, Austin, and a few other places. In Memphis, I got off the bus on a Sunday morning, left my bag in a bus station locker, bribed a desk clerk to use a shower in a hotel room, then caught a taxi to Graceland. I don't remember how I got to Sun Studios from there. Maybe there was a bus. I caught the Greyhound out of town that same night.

Taking the bus across America sounds a lot more glamorous than it is. I remember a haze of fast food and weirdos. I also remember losing interest and flying back from L.A.



I don't remember why or when Marvel employees got nametags. It was for either a convention or what was called a "Marvel Mega-Tour." People would line up to get my autograph, because that's what people do at conventions. They probably got home and said "Who the hell is Marie Javins and why do I have her autographed trading card" before promptly throwing it away.

1 comment:

Nancy Matson said...

I would guess there are few people who imagine a cross country tour by Greyhound is glamorous. I know my one overnight bus trip from Ohio to Boston caused me to swear off Greyhound for over a decade afterward. The bus from NY to Boston is not bad, though.