Sunday, May 24, 2009

Kimba the DVD

Who says Facebook is a waste of time?

My network there just alerted me that I could buy a licensed, legitimate DVD set of all the cartoons of Kimba the White Lion.

That was the first color animated Japanese cartoon to come to the US. Kimba was born in 1966, just like me. He disappeared from sight right about the time of Lion King (the movie) which was an utter swipe of Kimba. (I don't have a problem with that. I just have a problem with them not coming right out and saying "We were influenced by...")

I had been planning on digitizing all my old VHS tapes of Kimba, which were terrible quality and probably originally taped off a TV somewhere. I'd bought them in the early nineties at a comic book convention. I've been on a digitizing kick as I'm both sick of old VHS tapes floating around my place and also trying to meet a June 6th deadline for re-editing "A Day in the Life of an Assistant Editor," an absurd slice of Marvel life in 1988 (starring David Wohl as the assistant).

So I better get back to work, dissecting old footage and seeking the exact duplicate of a shot from 1988... but first, I need to drop $70 on a certain cartoon...

2 comments:

Sue said...

This was my absolute favorite cartoon as a kid (I was born in 1965). I'll have to check it out - thanks for the tip!

Don Hudson said...

Your network is looking out for you.