Thursday, January 12, 2006

And I'm Getting Poorer Every Day

5:23 a.m. I was awakened by a man singing to me.

Okay, he was singing to everyone in earshot of the local mosque, not just to me. And it's somewhat soothing.

My morning in Kuwait had begun. It's no problem to be woken up so early when you're jetlagged anyway. My inner clock was confused. I'm back on Uganda time, after being on Eastern Standard time for six weeks.

My mobile phone started buzzing when I was in the (cold) shower. I grabbed a towel and raced over. It was the rep from a realtor I'd contacted. He would be happy to show me some furnished apartments in an hour.

I worked out which bus would take me to the meeting point in Salwa, but after standing at the bus stop for a while, considered that the buses might not run that often on a holiday. I hailed a taxi.

The taxi driver had no idea where the Palms Hotel in Salwa was. Neither did I. We couldn't communicate at all, so I said "Radisson." He nodded, then showed me a photo of his wife.

Luck was with me and the Radisson turned out to be next door to Palms. There was too much security at Radisson so I didn't bother sneaking a look. Apparently every window was blown out of it during the Gulf War.

The realtor showed me some apartments around Salwa. Kuwait City is sprawling, and Salwa seemed to be quite a long distance from the office and the city center.

The first was acceptable. It was clean and fairly modern. It wasn't large, and consisted of several small rooms that all featured locking doors. Rent was $1000 a month and Internet access was an additional $85 a month. Eh. I wasn't blown away, but if nothing else came up, I'd consider it.

The next was larger, older, and had its own balcony. It was $1200. Again, an additional $85 was required for Internet.

The third place was a $600 studio. But it smelled badly due to a sewage pipe problem, and it was dingy and excessively used. The realtor hadn't even wanted to show it to me, and once I saw it, I understood why.

I started to reconsider the corporate housing I was already in. I'd asked the maid to deal with the rancid food in the dishes and she'd done a good job. Internet was included there and the city center was just a few minutes away by taxi... but then Hassan told me the monthly rent would be $1200. Ouch.

The realtor left me at Marina Mall, another glamorous over-the-top mall that reminded me of my impoverished status. I got the cheapest thing (besides McDonald's) that I could find in the food court, and it was still $6. Then caught another $6 taxi home. I realize that $6 for a taxi fare is not to be unexpected, but if it costs me $12 just to leave my place, PLUS whatever I spend when I get to my destination, it's going to hurt. It's going to cost me $20 to walk outside my door.

It's going to be an interesting three months, but it's rapidly becoming clear to me that I am in WAY over my financial head. I can't afford to live in Kuwait.

8 comments:

Jared said...

I'm beginning to fear that I can't afford to live anywhere. I need a time machine. I don't know if that'll help my money woes but at least I'll have a time machine. Cool.

Anonymous said...

holy guacamole!
it sounds like Japan! from what I've heard....
however, you are scrappy and clever! I'm sure you will figure this puzzle out!
even though you're free lance - anyway they could help you out? sweeten the deal?
just an idea...
hang in there!!!!
Paula

Marie Javins said...

I'm not very scrappy and clever at the moment. Just scrappy. And kind of dirty too, because I just can't face that lukewarm shower.

And Jared, that makes two of us who are simply not cut out for living the way the world wants us to live.

Don Hudson said...

Hey Marie, If I send you $30.00 will you send me a postcard?

Marie Javins said...

That might not be enough but sure, I'll send a postcard as soon as I figure out where they sell them and how to find the post office.

Steve Buccellato said...

Nothing like accepting a job that COSTS you money, as opposed to EARNING you money! It's a bit like self-publishing, except that you don't own anything of value in the end. Well, hopefully there will be more to the experience than pricey cab-rides, Pizza Hut and Starbucks. I think you have all those things in Jersey City, if I'm not mistaken.

Ask for more money for your expenses, if you can. And opt for the "tall" latte instead of the "Grande."

Yeesh.

Marie Javins said...

Actually, I don't think we have that fine dining establishment of Pizza Hut in JC.

Anyway, within a few days all this apartment stuff will be worked out. Didn't mean to make everyone feel so sorry for me! I'm sure most people pay more than that in monthly expenses.

Work starts tomorrow and I think the finance guy might be able to help me negotiate with the corporate housing place. And I studied the bus company website today and I'm ready to take on the public transport system.

OH and Hassan explained the hot water system to me. So I have hot water now.

And aren't we not supposed to go to Starbucks? That's fine. I like Costa Coffee better and they are here too. Oh, and so is Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf. Mmm, hot vanilla...

Steve Buccellato said...

I boycotted Starbucks for a few years because of the whole Kieron Dwyer/LCD thing. But one day, I was just too lazy and Starbucks was the closest available coffee wherever I was. Alas, I have since broken my own invisible picket line. So much for convictions!

And to think that I almost put them out of business...