Friday, April 10, 2020

Good or Bad Friday?

I got into an argument at the supermarket today. Which isn't really how one expects to spend one's day when making a grocery list.

A raggedy-looking woman tried to cut because "I'm just buying cigarettes."

I jumped in before the person queued up in front of me could respond. (She looked taken aback, at least as much as I could tell since we're all in masks.)

"Get in line like everyone else."

"Oh, you're gonna be a bitch?"

"You're the bitch, you see all these people in line? You're gonna try to cut in front of them all waiting here?"

"It's just a pack of..."

"YOUR ADDICTION IS NOT MY PROBLEM."

By now people were turning around and staring.

"You've got a pro..."

"YOUR ADDICTION IS NOT MY PROBLEM. YOUR ADDICTION IS NOT MY PROBLEM."

She slinked away. Sigh of relief.

The woman in front of me turned around with a nervous laugh. "I'm so glad you said that!" The woman in the line next to us said "Me too! The other day someone tried to cut because they only had two things."

"I was scared," I admitted. "I'm glad that worked."

Then the woman in front of me told me "You are cool," so that's a win

 Good Friday indeed.

(Yes, I would've let her go ahead if she were buying flu medication or diapers, and I wouldn't have used the addiction line if she hadn't continued to push. I'm not completely heartless, just mostly.)

No comments: