Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Lunch on the Run

"Small museum with a few mosaics" is how my ancient guidebook described the museum in El Jem.

Small compared to the Bardo, sure. But the mosiacs were marvelous and the backyard held the remains of a large Roman villa named Africa House. I was gobsmacked, having zero expectations of the museum.

Well worth a visit.

I was anxious to get to the train, but also hungry. I hurried back to the main street to look for food options.

I ended up with chicken shawarma on a chapati, scarfed down while running to a train, which turned out to be late.

I saw in the El Jem gare waiting room, snacking on my lunch. There was a woman in tight jeans and t-shirt across from me, long hair uncovered and flowing. I was getting closer to the city as I traveled north.



1 comment: