Friday, June 08, 2007

Too Tired to Drive


I took Henry the Ford Taurus--or rather, he took me--to Virginia today for his annual physical. I keep meaning to switch his registration to New Jersey, but then I keep leaving the country and it doesn't seem to matter what his plates say when all he does is sit in the garage.

He passed with flying colors in spite of his advanced age. We then went to visit my family.

It's after 11 at night and en route to JC, I find myself sitting in the Maryland rest area that has wi-fi, along I-95. Which is great. But the vending machines are broken and I kind of need a cup of coffee, because I'm about ready to fall asleep behind the wheel.

Maybe I'll just crawl into the back seat and nap. Henry doubles as a camper van.

3 comments:

Marie Javins said...

That wasn't so bad. My last thought before I fell asleep in the back of my car was, "I'll just take a nap and then go find a hotel."

When I awoke, it was 5:30 a.m. and the sun was rising. I didn't think people were allowed to stay overnight in a rest area, but I was not the only one. One man had even stretched out on a picnic table (in his sleeping bag).

Linda said...

Hmmm... well, obviously they allow napping in a "rest area" and who's to define the length of a nap?

I'm not sure it's safe to sleep in a rest area but it's less hazardous than driving when you falling asleep.

Glad you made it home safely.

Marie Javins said...

I had the doors locked. Anyway, all the criminals were also napping.