Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Morning Spaceout

"Excuse me, excuse me!"

A businesswoman was tapping the glass on the PATH train door from inside the car I was in.

"I wanted to get out," she explained to the conductor who stood at his post a half-car away. He'd just closed the door at 23rd Street.

"Hold the train," he bellowed over the loudspeaker to the train driver. The driver, who had been about to leave, stopped. The conductor used his key to open the door and let her out.

"I thought there was a stop at 28th Street," she explained sheepishly as she exited. I think I speak for the entire car when I say we were all wondering why she didn't just get off at 33rd Street and walk back instead of holding up more than 500 people on their way to work.

She stalked away, as her sunglasses fell off and landed on the platform.

"Your sunglasses fell off!" I yelled after her as the door slid shut. She kept walking.

The conductor again bellowed into the loudspeaker.

"PICK UP YOUR SUNGLASSES." Everyone giggled as his voice echoed through the station.

She stopped, walked back, and picked up her glasses.

The train pulled out as the conductor addressed the car.

"Sometimes you're busy thinking and just in another world. Which is fine on the train but never do that in traffic. Don't trust any driver. Always be alert."

I'll keep that in mind.

3 comments:

Steve Buccellato said...

Great story! Reminds me of something I'd read on Overheard in New York, only not as raunchy!

Steve Buccellato said...

By the way, your new profile pic is very blond.

Marie Javins said...

Um... thanks??????