Friday, February 23, 2007

Why I Take the Metro

>

The buses here can get really crowded during rush hour.

I sometimes see people hanging out of the door, clinging to the frame with their fingertips. This sounds dangerous, but since traffic is usually going between 2-7 miles an hour, it's easy for a bus rider to just step to the ground at the frequent halts. Sometimes several men are lounging on the road shoulder, waiting for the bus to move so they can grab on again. This can cause consternation to the scooter and bicycle riders who use the shoulder as a mini-lane.

The scooter rider's honk at the bus passengers, who move aside slowly. Perhaps they are resentful of the scooter rider's freedom. When I see the scooters buzzing around quickly, it makes me wish I had a scooter.

1 comment:

Steve Buccellato said...

Please don't ride a scooter in Cairo. For some reason, words like "pulverize" immediately come to mind.