Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Nice View


I've arrived. In Kuwait anyway.

Here's a photo of the lovely view from the place I'm staying for the first few nights.

At first glance, Kuwait seems to be full of beige. Beige landscape, beige buildings, beige everything but for the black ribbons of road that cut through the neutral color. And when I look out the window, all I see is beige and men. And that wreck of a building next door. People did seem to stare at me when I walked down the street to the supermarket. Maybe next time I won't go out in my bikini.

5 comments:

Steve Buccellato said...

sweeeet!

Don Hudson said...

Are you really getting unwelcome attention for the clothes you wear? Do you dress down in robes and a headscarf? I remember an episode of MTV's Road Trip, where on a trip to the middle east, one of the girls dressed in western garb and was pelted with small stones. Are you getting angry 'Cover yourself' stares?

Marie Javins said...

Actually, I don't think it's my dress garnering attention. Just kidding about the bikini. I think it's because everyone on the streets where I am staying is male and Arabic. I'm neither. It's kind of like if Martian walked past you and you couldn't help but stare.

When I went to the mall later in the day, no one blinked when they saw me, because there were people there from all over the world.

Linda said...

I'm glad you got there safely. Hope you find a nice apartment at no too dear a price.

Anonymous said...

M:
didn't realize you'd spent soooo much time/travels/etc with HM. ugh. It sounds like you enjoyed London despite all the memories.
Luv the new view!
Glad you arrived safely.
PB