Monday, August 01, 2005

Welcome


Welcome to my brand spanking new blog. I "blogged" a lot pre-blogging... that is, I wrote countless entries on www.mariesworldtour.com in 2001, typing in HTML in cyber cafes from places like Mongolia, Zambia, and East Timor.

Post MariesWorldTour.com (a year around the world by local transport), I struggled to get back into normal life for a while with mixed results. Problem was, I didn't really want a normal life. I moved to Australia for a while, camped across the US, lived in Australia again, back to NYC and then a new home in nearby Jersey City (currently rented to cover costs). Last autumn, I lived in Barcelona until the dollar sunk against the euro and I scampered home.

I don't really have an income, so I pick up freelance coloring and editing work when I can. It's not enough but being out of the workforce for four years has a way of making one both unemployable and unwilling to be employed. I wrote a few guidebooks over the last few years and am currently writing a travel narrative book about the Africa section of MariesWorldTour.com for Seal Press.

The point of this blog is to document my daily life here in Uganda, where I am living for a few months before I move to Namibia. I have an apartment in Kampala, but spend half my time with a Bavarian and some wart hogs in Murchison Falls National Park. Readers of MariesWorldTour.com will know the Bavarian as Herr Marlboro from the Sudan to Egypt ferry. He is working with the German Development Service and the Uganda Wildlife Authority on rehabilitating the infrastructure of the park. I am working on a book, but the truth is that so far all I've done is panic about overdue comic book coloring and girl-and-pony-book editing. And then once in a while, I look up from the laptop (Schleptop in German) and notice, "Hey, I'm in Africa." Cool.

1 comment:

Max Hartshorne said...

Marie your blog makes for good blog fodder. I just excerpted a little bit about your life there.

If you would like to send me some text that works as a story I'll pay you $50 (if is has pix) and put up a link to your blog.

would love to read some stuff.

Max