Thursday, March 04, 2021

The Mystery of the Missing Roosters

When I was scouring the webs for a rental I could afford for a week on Maui, I read a lot of reviews of my current lodging, all criticizing the chickens.

The comments were all the same: So many roosters! Couldn't sleep once they started crowing, they were everywhere!

Eh, I thought. Been there, done that, wanted to murder chickens at 5 a.m. I remember this one repetive rooster outside my serviced apartment in Kampala...that damn thing wanted me to learn to kill chickens. But my work day starts at 7 here in Hawaii, so it doesn't matter if nature's alarm clock gets it in his head to announce the dawn.

But a funny thing happened here in Lahaina.

No roosters at the complex. Nada. Not one.

There are roosters everywhere else in town. Stray roosters wandering around, underfoot, dodging cars.

But no roosters are here at the Aina Nalu on the edge of the old town.

I don't think I want to know what happened to the roosters of Aina Nalu.

No comments: