Saturday, March 06, 2021

Early Rise

Haleakala National Park is open for sunrise by advance reservation only.

Advance is not defined as "looks at website a few days before." "Curses," I thought. I was too late to just rent a car and drive myself up.

I read up on sunset, which does not require reservations, but I couldn't find a satisfying answer on if sunset was as good as sunrise. I'd have to book a tour if I wanted to see the sunrise described by Mark Twain as "the most sublime spectacle I have ever witnessed.” 

But almost no one is doing these tours at the moment, due to a shortage of tourists. 

Finally, I found one. The cycle tours. But damned if I was going to go down a giant mountain on a bike. I've only recently worked myself up to Citibiking from Lafayette Street to Hamilton Park in Jersey City. I know my limits. 

The bike people were happy to let me on-board. They're happy for all the clients they can get right now. They told me to be out in front of the condo complex in Lahaina at 3 a.m. And their driver, Billy, a Hawaiian in a Gilligan hat, showed up right at 3 a.m. 

The view was pretty amazing, and the morning was every bit as cold as my FB friends told me it would be. I had on a T-shirt, a sweater, two flannel shirts, my hoodie, a borrowed bike company fleece vest, and their plastic raincoat, and I was still shivering. 

 The other 8 tourists took off on bikes to head back down the mountain once we'd watched the sun come up. (The first clear day in a week, Billy told us.) 

He dropped me at the airport rental car center so I could get a car and do more sightseeing around Maui. But he told me a funny story about the wild chickens running around the island. 

"Ten years ago when they were trapping and neutering all the feral cats, I read an article and the guy said in ten years we'd have a chicken problem, and he was right. The chickens have no more natural predators."  

And I laughed and laughed to myself. The enemy of chicken control is not neutered cats. The enemy of wild chicken control is Safeway, Foodland, Times Supermarket, and Costco.





No comments: