Friday, February 14, 2020

Here's How You Celebrate Valentine's Day

This blurry photo is of Joe Dante and John Sayles talking about the 1978 high art masterpiece Piranha at the Egyptian tonight.

I had never actually seen this film before, and it was pretty damn funny. I wanted to asked the filmmakers if they had any idea why Aquarena Springs (San Marcos, TX) decided to let their real name be used in the film, but I wasn't sure if anyone else would care, so I didn't ask the question.

I guess any place that featured mermaids and a swimming pig had a good sense of humor, and no one really believed piranhas would eat them if they went to Aquarena Springs. Plus, the film was a low-budget Roger Corman special, and probably no one had the money to make new sign.

1 comment:

William Kendall said...

I've heard of the movie, but never saw it.