Sunday, September 22, 2019

Yesterday

I finally got home to Burbank at 1:21 a.m. after a night and a day in a Houston suburb, where I was one of many in attendance of a funeral for Daniel Johnston. The day was long and hot, and I caught up with a few old friends over the course of the odd mishmash of Daniel's friends and family, including people he knew from his West Virginia childhood and from his early years in Austin (I fall into the latter category).

I had only been back from my Asia trip a few days before racing off to Houston, so I didn't have a lot of food in my Burbank condo. I scrounged around and ended up eatgin three strawberries and a handful of walnuts, then went upstairs to crash.

And that's when I saw clothes all over my bed, from Friday when I'd been trying to find something appropriate for a funeral. Back downstairs. Gonna need more strawberries.

Here's Kathy McCarty performing a Daniel song most of you have probably heard by now. Credit to the guy who posted the video, Peter Blackstock. I don't think I know him, but it seems like I should.