Monday, January 14, 2019

Back to Nature in the Middle of Hollywood

Yesterday I went over to Hollywood to attend a workshop on square foot gardening.

The idea is you have a small raised bed of dirt, say it's 4x4. Then you use strings and staples (or whatever) to divide it into a grid with four one-square-foot sections. Like laying out four standard floor tiles next to each other.

You plant in each of those square sections—for example, broccoli only gets one plant per section, but peas can be in five per section. Radishes and carrots get planted at 12 per section. Someone has worked out how many go in each foot, and what order you plant in and in what season.

This class was a lot of fun! I was thinking about doing this in my backyard in Jersey City one day, but then the teacher said how raccoons and possums like to eat the veggies and so unless I want to get into a protracted battle with local wildlife, this seems like a bad idea.

Maybe I can do this on my balcony in Burbank, but only if I get a shade cloth. We get a bit o' sun here in this part of the world.






1 comment: