Monday, August 04, 2008

Target Sells Self-Help Books Too

On Sunday, Denise and I headed to Target after meeting up at the Grace Church Used Book Sale. I go to the sale often, always with intent to donate books and never with intent to purchase. In spite of this, I left with a one-dollar Merriam-Webster's 11th Edition Collegiate Dictionary (hardcover) and a copy of A Thousand Splendid Suns, also for a dollar.

At Target, we first headed for Returns. Denise threw a pair of seersucker shorts up on the scanner.

"I don't know what I was thinking when I bought those," she said. "My husband asked* if I was planning on going sailing or to the country club."

The cashier, a large-boned JC gal in her late teens or early twenties, laughed along with us, then added her own two cents.

"I bought some of those too. I was a MESS in them. A MESS."

We laughed back. But she wasn't done yet.

"I was a mess, but I was a HOT MESS. I was a hot mess, but I OWNED IT."

Denise still returned the seersucker shorts.


*Sarcasm, in case you don't know how unlikely Denise is to do either of these things.

1 comment:

Sara Kocher said...

Suddenly, I'm so glad to be 40. The 80's weren't great, but I'd rather have been a 20-something then than now.

Only slightly related...I wear my seersucker shorts to wash the car. But they were hand-me-downs and therefore free.