Saturday, April 30, 2022

Remember the Meerkats

The art and comics world has lost a legend, a creative genius who remapped how stories were conveyed, evolving the comics world to 2.0. I have nothing to add to the stories from his family, mentees, colleagues, and fans. Their loss is personal and raw, both joyous and sad. All I have to offer to our colleagues and Neal's family is my condolences and one amusing recollection.

I came into comics in 1988, when Neal Adams was working in advertising, so it was 12 years before I finally worked with him on a Marvel reprint cover. I remember being slightly terrified when I called the main number at Continuity, but Neal couldn't have been more kind. I didn't understand the final cover's joke about cows and Skrulls at the time, but I knew to shut up and accept that it was the right call, because Neal knows comics in ways I never will.

Years later at DC after we'd moved to Burbank, I had a custom comic about talking meerkats in superhero costumes, where the client asked "Can Neal Adams draw this?" And my first thought was "Don't be ridiculous, he's busy." But there was a part of me that remembered the silliness of the cow joke, and I said...hold that thought. Maybe.

Neal was amused and dove right into our goofy meerkats story. We all relished the experience, which was beyond absurd. I worked with Neal on plenty of other stories over the next few years, but I cherish the meerkats.

All my best to Neal's family, and all his mentees and colleagues.


1 comment:

William Kendall said...

I met him once at a Comicon here.