Friday, August 20, 2021

Neighborhood Moments

After dinner with Denise, I biked from Hamilton Park to Lafayette on a Citibike. When I got home, all the bike stalls were taken, so I had to ride over to the Liberty State Park rack to drop off my bike.

I walked back to Lafayette Street, and this turned out to be a good thing, because I arrived just in time to hear the neighbor talk on his phone while sitting on his stoop.

"Reparations, now that's a different story," he said. There was a pause as the person he was talking to responded. Then he laughed.

"40 acres and a mule. Imagine that in Jersey City. 40 acres would be a nice chunk of money!"

Another pause as I dug around for my key, as slowly as possible so I could eavesdrop.

"40 acres in Jersey City..."

His voice trailed off as I went inside.

No comments: