Saturday, August 07, 2021

Local History

Here's some video of the old church down the block. It looks so cool--I hope I get a chance to try to buy a part of it once it's finished, but I bet the condos will end up being a bazillion dollars. Things have changed a lot since I bought my inexpensive house off Craigslist in 2015.

"The gentrification of the Lafayette section of Jersey City is rapidly changing many of the landmarks in the area. The partial demolition of a historical church in August 2021 brought the attention of many concerned neighbors. The church, St. John's A.M.E., was known to have a role in the Underground Railroad in the 1800s. With the redevelopment of the area continuing to replace the visible markers of the rich history of African Americans in Jersey City, we struggle to keep their historical presence in the light."

No comments: