Saturday, June 06, 2020

While You Were Sleeping



I've been keeping an eye out night after night, hoping to see some of the critters in my yard.


I...might have cheated the other night. I put out a tiny bit of cat food in hopes of getting the raccoon to stay still long enough for a photo. It worked but I won't do it again.

This adorable creature showed up as I watched and waited, like I was on safari.

But...it wasn't just eat-and-run. It was eat-and-examine. Examine every square inch of that patio and fence. This critter (who Yancey has named "Murphy") moved SO fast, sniffing everything. Murphy zipped right over to where I was standing on the other side of the half-frosted window and sniffed the window sill, went down the steps to my back door and sniffed profusely, clambered up the bricks to the patio with her tiny prehensile-ish hands and feet, then made her way over to the fence, SCALED THE FENCE in a split second, used the top as a balance beam, and then jumped over to a tree and disappeared into the nun's yard.

Awesome but a little terrifying. Raccoons know no fear. I don't think I'll ever go out in my yard after dark again.



No comments: