Friday, March 27, 2020

Excursion -- At A Distance

I really needed a walk after barely leaving my apartment for more than a week. Also, I wanted some elastic to try to make a few masks.

I have an N95 mask, sure. But that's for emergencies. Namely, if I get sick and need to go to the hospital.  (Its original purpose was for sanding pottery, or maybe I have it in case of SoCal fire season. I forget.)

But the point of these non-surgical masks people are wearing is to stop yourself from touching your face when you're in the supermarket or pharmacy. So I'm planning to make some masks tomorrow, but I only had a little strip of red elastic left over from I-don't-know-what project.

"Maybe Target has elastic," I thought. Followed by "I seriously doubt it." Have you ever seen Target's sewing section? It's for sewing buttons, really. (Walmart, oddly, has a great sewing section, but that's not nearby, and it's crowded and horrible even under normal circumstances.) 

Anyway, there's one of those mini-Targets a mile away, and it has both groceries and a pharmacy, so it's allowed to open. And since I feel like a slug, off I went, elbowing the complex door open and not hitting crosswalk buttons. All the humans I encountered hugged the other side of the sidewalk. No one is going near each other for now.

When I got to Target, I had to wait on an X on the sidewalk since only a few people are allowed in at a time.

There were a lot of bare shelves where the TP and Purell had presumably once been, but that wasn't my mission. My target at Target was the sad little sewing section, which was indeed pathetic.

There was definitely no elastic in the sewing section.

So I went to the hair section. I think this will work.

Bonus: I got in 10,000 steps today, even though this mission required a lot of hand scrubbing and two Clorox wipes.



No comments: