Thursday, December 24, 2020

Before Costco

I was talking with some colleagues about growing up in the DC area...of course they're younger than I am but we all have certain common points of reference, and one of them is from Annandale.

She's too young to know about this, but when I was a kid, we'd go to Memco in Annandale every Friday night when my dad would get paid. It was like Costco before there was Costco, where you had to be a member. There was a little snack bar and I'd get a hot dog and a 7-Up from a fountain. My sister and I were made to walk single file behind my dad as he pushed the grocery cart around, while he smoked Kool cigarettes. In the store. People did that back then.

I found a photo online of Memco...and these memories came flooding back. Here's the Annandale Memco. 



No comments: