Saturday, August 08, 2020

Scanning from Storage

Last time I went into my storage unit in Jersey City, back in 2019 before pandemic changed our lives, I discovered my scanner had somehow crashed to the concrete floor. Which was a bummer because it was an expensive scanner I'd bought for scanning negatives.

I picked it up and heard a lot of loose things shaking around. Not good.

Today I went to my storage unit and retrieved the scanner, thinking I might as well stop putting off the bad news. I unwrapped the scanner from the bubble wrap and plugged it in. It made scanner start-up noises, but when I tipped it, things were still shaking around.

I found a cord and connected the scanner to my laptop, pulled a photo out of one of the little albums on a shelf in my tiny apartment on the ground floor of my house, and...success!

Here is Steve and Catherine in 2001 on-board the Direct Kiwi freighter at Terminal Island, Long Beach Container Port south of Los Angeles. They'd driven me there to start my first grand trip around the world.

I was glad my scanner worked, because my original scans were all crap, sized small because the internet was young and websites had to load up quickly with just a few MB of content.

Unfortunately, the scanner only worked once. I'll need to get a new one eventually.

No comments: