Saturday, June 26, 2010

Weekender

I have houseguests for a week, so I did what everyone should do when they have houseguests, which is rent a car and drive to New Hampshire.

This scared me, because while I have no problem careening along in a foreign country without a net, the simple weekender of going to see friends domestically is outside of my comfort zone.

I am aware that this is inherently ridiculous. But it's been a long time since I did something as simple as drop in on friends in another state.

I had lunch in Massachusetts with my friend Sarah, then headed up to see Ursula in her NH beach town. I explained to anyone who asked that I was coming out of my cave, testing coming out of hibernation. And they all said the same thing.

"But you travel all the time."

I'm used to that other type of travel. This type isn't something I do much of. And so far, we've won cheap skeeball prizes and strolled along a semi-skanky beachfront.

It's been fun.

1 comment:

Benjamin Russell said...

As a New Hampsterite, I should inform you that you are getting the authentic experience. While a certain class of people voyage up to NH in order to leaf peep or ski, much more of our tourist population instead drives up to experience Motorcycle Week, NASCAR, or any of our varied, slightly grungy "resort" towns -- which all unfailingly have run-down arcades. The one with which I'm personally most familiar is FunSpot at Weirs Beach near Laconia (a beach that's on a lake, and not our 13 miles of coastline, thus making it potentially hospitable), but I'm sure there are others.

I'm glad that Skee-Ball has at least provided you with fabulous prizes or equally interchangeable tchotchkes.