Friday, January 04, 2019

The Fourth of January

January 4th, 1988 was a Monday, and my first day as an intern at Marvel Comics. (My desk next to Mark Chiarello came with a typewriter, and there was a Wang word processor right behind me, which the whole department shared.)

Today is the 31st anniversary of my life in comics, but it's also the 18th anniversary of the day I caught a train at Penn Station, ultimately disembarking in Los Angeles to take a freighter from Long Beach to Melbourne, to begin my year-long solo trip around the world.

Pretty sure my other January 4ths have been less eventful. I don't anticipate today being something I'll talk about moving forward, but you never know.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

God, how could it be that long ago. I had the same idea, tramp freighters, and found your blog. Can't remember where you posted. Quickly figured out it was about as expensive as any other mode. But saw you could write and kept waiting for the next episode.

So much has transpired, Africa, shared taxis,Hippos, Dik-Diks,( both), NYC, Jersey, Kuwait, Fatwahs, NY again, always comics, California, movies, Cairo, not to mention Easter Island and that weird island of dolls. That's far from complete but some memorable highlights.

You've been kinda lax last few years. I think it has something to do with California and movies. We ain't getting any younger kid. Don in AL

Marie Javins said...

California is just the backdrop for the job, which is kind of intense. I don't post much here anymore, because readers moved from blogs to social media. But I'm glad you're still reading!

William Kendall said...

Two milestones!