Tuesday, October 16, 2018

More Fun with Home Repairs

There were two heavy steel covers hanging around my tiny yard back in Jersey City.

One was in the vestibule of the entrance to the downstairs, covering a drain.

The other was over was was either an oil tank alcove or a coal chute, or possibly both at different time in my house's history.

Both of those are now gone, courtesy the same company that did the stoop (Jetco) and the backyard stucco. They reported that the drain under the stoop doesn't actually go anywhere. I can only assume the drain is designed to put water into the soil beneath the stoop, then. I know when I tried to figure it out, I found a pipe full of soil and children's toys. At least now I have a drain cover instead of a big plate that clanks when I step on it.



1 comment:

William Kendall said...

Hopefully your supposition is correct.