Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Finishing Up and Starting

I'm sorry I've been so quiet. The crunch at the end of writing the Iron Man novel was intense, and I had no time for anything, including posting here. I didn't go to the gym for three weeks, and only left my house to teach or pick up a sandwich. I can't say it was harder than I expected it to be, because I fully expected it to be hard. I can say that I'm very proud to have finished and I think I did a pretty good job. My editor, Stuart, had to do a bit of hand-holding at the end and just chatting with him about options for adding in new material would calm me down. Steve Pugh and Marc Siry both gave me ideas once in a while, and those helped push me through too.

And it's a good thing I finished when I did, because I'm going to a meeting tomorrow in Bristol. And as a precursor, I had the joy of sleeping on a plane, stumbling into a Priceline Hilton all jetlagged, and also, of taking the Heathrow Express train to Paddington. I wouldn't do this on my own money but I'm on a business trip and already saving a fair bit through my tried-and-true London techniques: Get Boingo for the month of the trip (avoid hotel wifi fees) and use Priceline to get a 4-star place.

I *loved* taking the Heathrow Express. I'm never going back to the Underground. At least, not until I'm not on a business trip.




No comments: