Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Morocco Booty



Here are the goods. My scores from Morocco.

The blue plate was cracked in my luggage, in spite of all the bubble wrap I was dragging around. Kraiger thinks I can fix it with Krazy Glue but I haven't tried yet.

The green painting has gone to Lisa W in Seattle. The little wooden boxes have snakes that pop out. Those went to the sons of Steve B and Denise. The beads were for Ursula. And the tagine cooker? That's mine. I haven't tried it yet. I haven't even looked up how to use it. But I did wash it, dry it, and put it in the cupboard.

Which is half the battle, right?

3 comments:

Ed Ward said...

I'm not sure how you do this, but do ascertain that the glaze on the tagine will be stable in the oven. I see unglazed ones in the Maghrebi stores here, and I'd be more inclined to use one of those, although you'd lose some juices.

The way they work is basically, you half-cook a stew on the stove-top, then pile it onto the plate part and then cover it with the cone, which preserves steam and keeps it moist. That's how they made those things you got with the couscous.

Marie Javins said...

Oh hell... I bought the wrong kind. I went to a lot of trouble to get the terra cotta one so that I could actually cook with it, but looking at it here in this jpeg, it is crystal clear to me that this is more decorative than practical.

Guess I'll have to go back down to the Moroccan store on E. 11th. Note to self: Buy terra cotta one WITHOUT glaze.

Ed Ward said...

No, some of the glazed ones work fine, and they don't absorb as much moisture.

Not sure how you check. The basic thing is not to have toxins leaching out from acidity in food (ie, preserved lemons, etc).