Monday, October 06, 2008

The Eminently Quotable Persepolis


I am sooo far behind the curve on this one that it's ridiculous. Here I am a comic book professional and I didn't get around to reading the Persepolis graphic novel until now. I've even been to Persepolis! Ridiculous. And I missed the movie altogether.

I loved the art and graphic storytelling, sure, but some of the words were priceless. The first is a quote from the author's grandmother, the second from the author.

"In life you'll meet a lot of jerks. If they hurt you, tell yourself that it's because they're stupid. That will help keep you from reacting to their cruelty. Because there is nothing worse than bitterness and vengeance... always keep your dignity and be true to yourself."
-Grandma

"Today, in retrospect, I no longer condemn him. Markus had a history, a family, friends. I had no one but him. I wanted him to be at once my boyfriend, my father, my mother, my twin. I had projected everything onto him. It was surely not easy for a boy of nineteen."
-the author herself

No comments: