Wednesday, February 13, 2008

AUC, NYC, and Snoopy-Slag


It was a dark and snowy night.

Dark because it was, well, night. (Snoopy might ought to work on that bit.) Snowy, though, was different.

It was our first real snow of the season (though it's melted now). I finally got to wear my snow boots, which have been hanging around with the tag on them for a year and a half. But I didn't wear those to last night's American University in Cairo student documentary event at the Tribeca Grand Hotel. That required a vague semblance of glamor, which was traumatic as after trying on everything in my closet, I discovered that ten extra pounds make one's clothes not fit. Imagine that.

I'd missed the June screening in Cairo by an ocean and a few weeks, so a little snow and poorly fitted clothing was not going to stop me from seeing the presentation last night.

The pieces themselves were charming, each conveying the kind of inspired enthusiasm lacking from a life of routine-day-job. Read an account of last night's events here and a feature on the documentaries here.

No comments: