Friday, January 04, 2008

Anti-arctica?


If you've been here a while with me, you already know my opinion on Antarctic tourism. While I don't want to eat sled dogs and live under an overturned lifeboat, I was disappointed by the relatively adventure-free Antarctic Peninsula cruise I went on.

But now lots more people know, because I've written an entire article about it for Tim Leffel's "Perceptive Travel" online magazine.

I have been trying to write this article for a long time, but it never quite worked the way I wanted it to. And when I pitched it to Tim, it still didn't sit right. It wasn't until he sternly told me to HURRY UP and finish that the article came together. Sometimes, a little tough love is exactly what a writer needs.

(Other times, it makes them shut down. Case by case, I suppose.)

I hope I don't get hate mail. Some people are bound to be upset by my opinion, and I actually expect several letters about how wonderful Person X's trip was, and how Person Y had the most meaningful experience of their life, and so on. I'll try not to worry about it.

You can read the article here.

No comments: