Monday, January 08, 2007

Devil Mart

I'm still sick, but I needed supplies so I ran down to the supermarket on the corner. It's Key Food on Avenue A, pricier than the supermarkets on Avenue C, but it's around the corner and I feel like dirt so I didn't want to walk any farther.

I picked up a few things--some soup, cereal, yogurt, and the kind of milk I'm not allergic to. I went to the "10 Items or Less" line.

The cashier, a young woman, rang up my purchases as I placed them in my cloth bag (I try to avoid plastic bag collections, though it's kind-of impossible).

"That'll be..." (gasp)

I looked up from my bagging duties. What could be of concern?

"Si..." She couldn't finish. Her eyes did not meet mine. They looked down.

$6.66.

I laughed.

"The yogurt of the beast," I said.

She nervously looked the other way. Pity I hadn't purchased Devil Dogs or devil's food cake. I took my satanic groceries and left.

Maybe I should stick with Avenue C from now on.

3 comments:

Matt Hollingsworth said...

I made some beer with marijuana once that ended up being 6.66% alcohol. Called it the beer of the beast. Good fun.

Good luck with the cold.

Marie Javins said...

He's joking of course. He made beer with mint in it.

David Wohl said...

I wonder if she has trouble looking at the clock at 11:34.

Hell time.

Copyright Marc Siry.