Tuesday, November 21, 2006

A Camel's a Wonderful Thing


Last night, during my research for the children's atlas I'm writing, I learned the following camel facts:

-Camels have gorgeous long eyelashes not to flirt with other camels, but to keep the sand out of their eyes.

-Camels ARE flirting when they blow that ugly pink bubble out of their mouths.

-Camels have super-kidneys that produce dry camel poo.

-Camels are useful for meat, milk, transportation, hauling, and camel hide in the Sahara.

-Camels have special fat feet, which act like camel snowshoes for sand.

5 comments:

Amanda Castleman said...

Male camels neck-wrestle for supremacy.

The Turkish Tourism Ministry explains the art here.

I especially liked the idea of the battle-camel "Columbo," locked in a fierce struggle for pink-bubbled doxies.

I'm not sure his namer did his homework, however.

As the New Yorker stated in this week's review of "Dexter": "the detective genre demands that its savants pay for their acuity with a stunted personal life: hence Adrian Monk’s O.C.D. and Columbo's imaginary wife."

Marie Javins said...

Comic book colorists don't have such hot personal lives either.

Anonymous said...

I'm not buying the faux modesty there, Marie. You have more international suitors than we Seattlites have words for rain... Ax.

Marie Javins said...

Damn! I've been outed.

Steve Buccellato said...

I gotta get me one a those Camel thingies.