Sunday, February 19, 2006

Camel Jockeys

"Marie, what would you do with a car if you had one?" asked one of the guys in the satellite office.

"I don't know. I'd go to the Friday Market. Maybe see a few things. Like the camel races."

Another guy turned around and shuddered.

"The camel races? They're horrible."

I knew what he was talking about.

"You mean the child jockeys? The kids that were sort of slaves? But that's illegal in Kuwait. They use robots here. And robots are cool!"

"I know, but I went only once--in another country--and it was so awful to watch that I never wanted to see any more."

He said that the children were very young, maybe 4-6 years old. And they cried as the camels ran. And the louder they cried, the faster the camels ran. And that in some countries, they still use kids.

It kind of turned me off to camel racing. I hope that it's true about the robots.

2 comments:

Steve Buccellato said...

As long as they don't use robot CAMELS. That's where I draw the line.

Jared said...

To quote an ol' bullpenner, "Robots. They'll replace us all with robots."